New rules on visas for foreigners in China

Posted 2020/3/12

CHINA yesterday announced a new exit-and-entry regulation intended to standardize the issue of visas for foreigners, related services and management.

The 39-article regulation will take effect on September 1, replacing the previous regulation from December 1986.

Based on reasons for entry, the regulation categorizes ordinary visas into 12 types, with a new R-visa for high-level foreign professionals.

Another new visa type, the Q-visa, is for foreigners visiting relatives in China.

Under the regulation, financial, educational, medical and telecommunications institutions, when necessary, can verify foreigners' identities with exit-entry management agencies of local public security organs.

The regulation also addresses illegal entry, residence and employment.

A foreigner who stays or resides beyond the period permitted by his or her visa or residence certificate will be deemed to be residing illegally. Illegal presence also applies to foreigners admitted to the country without a visa who remain in China beyond the visa-free period and fail to apply for a stay or residence certificate.

Any foreigner who moves beyond any area to which his or her stay is restricted will also be considered illegal.

Overseas students who need to take part-time jobs or internships may, with their schools' approval, apply to the exit-entry management agencies of local public security organs and include such information in their residence certificates.

Hot Article

Job searchAdvanced